Sunday, June 5, 2011

JJ Market, Crazy Taxi to Route 66

  My Saturday began at 1pm today as I woke up and jumped out of bed to join a group headed for JJ Market. I had no idea what the place was, but I had a feeling it would be worth the trip. I thought to myself that the place would be a simple outdoor street market lined with vendor tent stands. Sometimes it pays off to be wrong! It's difficult to describe the place, but I'll do my best. I'll include a picture in this post. The market was a labyrinth of tent stands and small stores with people selling everything you could possibly imagine. It was an interesting feeling, being lost in hundreds of these little stands, all crammed together to create narrow pathways to walk through. I saw food stands, furniture stores, and pet shops all in the same area. But it was so disorienting that you could walk past a stand you've already seen and not even notice it the second time, or never find the same place again because every time you turn a corner there seems to be no end in sight. It was so tempting to spend all my money when I saw all these cheap trinkets or clothing items. I got caught up in the atmosphere of the place and became astounded by all that the market had to offer. Next time I go back I plan on recording a video to show what it felt like to be lost in there. I ended up buying two dress shirts for 500B. Pretty good deal. 


  Last night I took the craziest cab ride of my life to RCA, a street of huge dance clubs. The cab ride was like being in a video game, so I was on the edge of my seat cheering the whole time while the girls screamed in my ears. As he sped down the road the driver would drive without hands, let the passenger hold the wheel, weave quickly in between cars, and nearly rear-end cars in front before swerving around them. It was equally terrifying and exciting. At one point the driver switched lanes going about 60mph onto an on ramp that curved right. We knew he was taking the turn way too fast and we begged him to slow down. At the last second he sharply yanked the wheel left and swerved away from the ramp, just before the cement lane divider. All of us screamed our lungs out as we held on for dear life. Between screams I was the only one laughing. The entire ride reminded me of the insanity in the video game Crazy Taxi. 


  When we arrived at RCA I was amazed by the club scene. There were at least four clubs lined up next to each other with music blaring and lasers flashing. Each place was absolutely packed with people, both inside and outside. We went to the first club, Route 66, which was more of a mainstream music club than the one next door. We tried to dance inside, but it was too crowded and hot, so we partied outside on the patio connected to the place. When I found myself yearning for more electronic music I ventured with a friend through the inside of Route 66 to the techno room next door. We didn't stay very long, but we cut a rug to some great remixes of Adele and other dance songs while we were there. Over all, it was a great night. The club experience here is unreal. Afrojack will perform there Thursday and Flo-Rida will be there Saturday. Decisions, decisions. 


Songs of the Day:
Flo-Rida feat David Guetta - 'Club Can't Handle Me'


The Wombats - 'Techno Fan' (Afrojack Remix)

No comments:

Post a Comment